Saturday, November 05, 2005

So guys, this is it. I'm on an SQ flight from NY to Singapore. And after living in NY for almost five years, it feels kinda weird. BUT biz class seats on this flight FULLY recline! So at least I'll sleep OK.

There are like - 100 movies and TV shows, a small record store full of CD options, and games and all that on the SQ entertainment system.

Dinner was a crab/ lobster salad, with lamb shank (there was a bunch of other main course options). And breakfast this morning was a really good ricotta blueberry pancake and sausages.

In between you can order maki, beef noodle soup (surprisingly good), asparagus omelette, chicken breast with mash potatoes - and you can order that any time you like which is kinda cool since it means you don't have to wake up on someone else's schedule to eat. And everytime I go to the loo, which near the stewardess' station, they're like "would you like another Earl Grey, Ms Kan?"

Saw three movies, read the FT, and am 3/4 way through Freakanomics - a lot of fun, as expected.

So guys, how do you think I'll do on the East West transition this time around? The third time...but I'm not sure it gets any easier, leaving friends and places behind.

I'll miss you guys...I'll miss Manhattan - the theatre, the restaurants, the attitude, the neuroses, the music...and my second home Grand Central. How WILL the Hudson Line stay afloat without me?

I guess I'm leaving the buzz and energy of the capital of the universe to a place where it feels like a new universe is just forming...especially in places like Shanghai...and even Singapore feels a little different.

But you guys WILL be visiting - so I'll make sure I keep a spare room for available.

Oh yeah - I skipped my birthday since it was Nov 3 when I left NY and it'll be Nov 5 when I land. Does that mean I'm still...uh...21?

1 comment:

Sebastian said...

Hey! First post! (I guess that's not funny unless you are geek enough to hang out on slashdot, metafilter or aicn)

The flight sounds great - I wonder if you could swing a gig reviewing business/first class airline food. Hmm..

We've been trying to plan an Asia trip for years, and we'll keep trying. Keep the spare room tidy!