Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Better than Weekend Brunch

A core group of us have been going to the Whampoa Family Service Centre for more than two years now. Our goal - to help the kids communicate in English, build confidence, make learning fun.

The first six months were pretty confusing and scary. The kids didn't know us, we weren't sure what to expect, and none of us knew anything about working with kids or what a lesson plan even was.

It took us months to build trust. Then the kids started responding. Then they started noticing when we were travelling and when we skipped weekends. The first time a kid said to me "Why you so long never come here?" I felt a mixture of guilt and gratification - wow they remember me!

Two really cool things happened last weekend. One of the girls made us a heart shaped thank-you card for teachers day and gave it to us before class started. A totally terrific surprise.

And, halfway into the session I asked a brand new volunteer how he was doing and he said, "It's great. I'm learning to help the kids learn how to learn."

And that, I guess, is what we've been doing many many Saturdays in a row.

And it's worth it.

No comments: