Sunday, March 28, 2010

Musical Spaces



A 10-year-old said to me: "(tea)Cherrr! Today chaos har?"

It had to be true chaos if even the kids from the centre says it's chaotic. It was birthday cake day again (every last Saturday - cake donated by Classic Cakes). And we'd just blown the candles and this time I'd taken it into the staff room to cut and then distribute. The kids were outside clamouring for cake while the monthly awards were given out. Every month we also give out personalised notes written by the social workers and volunteers to the kids.

We were short of volunteers Saturday: 1 in Seramban, another 2 in school, one out sick. So the boys were having a field day with vols Simeon and Ben who, to their credit, did a terrific job. Quite honestly, I was glad to leave them to it, hopping over only when the boys were getting too rowdy.


We did "sound/ pitch" from this really great kiddie Science experiment book. And we did the whole finger on rim of wine glass, different levels of water in bottles, and Ben was drawing sound waves on the board, telling the kids about amplitude and longtitude. AND they were paying attention. Then the boys got bored and started running around. I think they ended up playing Uno with one of the social workers minding them. Nash lost his glasses and I ended up talking to his mother on the phone with her asking me what WE were going to do about it. Luckily, Ben found them.

Considering there were 50 kids: 20 or so in my older group. I'd say we did OK. Getting their attention is a lot easier than it was 6 months ago.

Then I got some feedback from one of the senior social workers via another social worker. We were doing a great job engaging the girls. Now we need to do the same with the boys. Uh...do we have to?

As it was, I had three girl doing pretty well, two girls constantly getting bored, two ultra quiet and lost and unengaged but with potential, and one really really bright kid that would benefit from extra attention. And at least none of the girls were running around yelling and shoving.

So how do we do right by both groups? I don't know - but I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: