Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Turning Into A Pumpkin in The Big Apple.

Downturn or not, New York is still buzzing along.

New Yawkas walk just this much faster and with more intent. And they never, EVER take up the entire pavement - uh - I mean, sidewalk, by walking shoulder to shoulder with their pals and family like they do elsewhere. And woe betide you if you do. (Wanna heah a really cranky tri-state accent? Try blocking the other pedestrians)

Restaurant reservations are STILL hard to get. Per Se's booked up while I'm here, and I'm having problems adding more people to my reservations at Nougatine. But, Chelsea is still humming with really cool stuff. Humming, but less crowded. The really good shows - and I'm not talking Shrek, the Musical - are still really packed.

The Yayoi Kusama show at the Gagosian really wowed me. The three giant Pumpkins outdoors were cute, and the art inside was cool, but her installation, Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity, really floored me. You on in to this cube-like structure, and all around you are glittering lights reflected in the mirrors around you, and water below you. http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/2009-04-16_yayoi-kusama/

Worth the trek to Chelsea just for that. Also in Chelsea, a European "street food" fast food place that New York Mag rated as best Take Out. The nicest counter staff I've ever seen in any fast food place. I had the lobster and crab roll, but shoulda skipped the fries.

Saw Nathan Lane and John Goodman in Waiting for Godot last night. WOW. What great performances. Beckett was never this interesting in High School in Vancouver. And tonight - Mahler at the Carnegie Hall? Or Britten and Brahmns at St Ignatius?

And then there's jazz which starts at 10 30pm. But I've got timezone issues and I've been getting up at 5am every morning. Will I be able to stay up?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: