Saturday, August 09, 2008


Nest at Night

Just back from watching the Olympic Games opening ceremony at a colleague's house. Pizza and Wings - including a flavour I've never had before ... tuna pizza. My takeaway? Tuna's meant to be on sandwiches.

On the way there, we saw throngs of people lining the streets, waving flags, waiting to watch the fireworks. Lots of energy, lots of anticipation. When the cabbie dropped us he said "You might have problems getting a cab back until the end of the Opening Ceremony - a lot of us are going to be home watching it on TV."

At Bob's place, it was really cool to watch my colleagues get all excited when they saw atheletes they've met or helped out at our iLounges - internet lounges - at the Athelete's Village. One of my colleagues video skyped his wife and daughter in Raleigh to say good-morning, which was really cool. I saw Leander Paes, the tennis player, march in with the India team. I had met him at the Torch Relay in India where he was carrying the Torch for Lenovo.

The best part of the night: watching the final Torchbearer, Li Ning, run suspended in the air to light the cauldron, holding the torch my colleagues had designed.

Tied for the best part - Amy had gone to the grocery store to get some more drinks in the middle of the evening. Came back, and handed me a jar of peanut butter. I'd offhandedly mentioned at breakfast I was bummed that there was no peanut butter in our breakfast cafe. So...wow! Thanks Amy!! Appreciate this!!
It's the little things that are big - especially when we're away from home for a month.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

saw the li ning run on tv too. very very cool! *heart*

i didn't manage to catch the start cos was at (ironically) my biz mandarin class. but i had ppl texting me about the opening the whole time!