Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Blogging from SQ 11 flying from Narita to Singapore

So - I'm on a plane right now listening to Vengerov play a Beethoven Concerto, connected to the web thanks to Singapore Airlines, Boeing, and er...my Mastercard.

Priceless? Well, actually, $30 for the duration of the flight. Or as long as my Thinkpad T42 battery lasts.

And, the photo on this post isn't airline food - especially not on Econo - although I have to admit, SQ food isn't bad at all. Dinner was soba, rice, veg, chicken, and strawberry ice cream. Oh, and a half decent riesling.

The sashimi was part of dinner on Sunday night with my friend June and her husband. She and I had been talking about hanging out in Kyoto together for years (thank you Pico Iyer) but we've never quite made it - so she did the next best thing and took me to a Kyoto restaurant. )(It's so trad it doesn't have an English name. Really.) Dinner was fab, of course, along with the company and the view.

Tokyo feels like it's on a total revival kick (although nothing like the energy level of Shanghai yet). Construction everywhere, new buildings, ... green tea latte...people lining up to get into the new Chloe store in Aoyama...and actually walking out with shopping bags. I mean...CHLOE? Front page story on the Asian Wall St Journal today: "Mitsubishi UFJ plans to raise its Global Profile" - targetting to be the world's top five on profitability w/in 3-5 years. Yep...it's coming baaaack.

I was in a cab on my way from TCAT to my hotel after my overnight (econo) flight, and I was thinking, after having left NY for two-and-a-half months, I don't feel like I moved home to Singapore as much as I am part of this large, inter-connected place called Asia.

Seems like a pretty cool place to be exploring right now. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sebastian said...

Can I say "I told you so?"

Unknown said...

darn it sebastian, i hate it when you're right. but i really, really, really, REALLY miss everyone there. Even the part where I have to leave for work early to pick you up from the train station and then you back-seat drive the ENTIRE way!

Eugene Cox said...

OK.... I gotta know how much this costs, would it not have been cheaper to call Sebastian and get his commentary ? :-)

Unknown said...

Plane wifi bill came to about US$15. Calling him on my cell in Singapore woulda been like 3 cents a minute (monthly plan is like, US$60). Sure it woulda been cheaper to CALL...but it was more fun pinging him on the plane since he was stuck in Nova Scotia with NO BROADBAND!!!!!!!