Friday, December 09, 2005

The View: Mori Museum of Art


Went to this place called The View when I was in Japan. It was in Roppongi Hills, in the Mori Tower. All new and very shiny.

Went there on the way to the Mori Art Museum. There happened to be a Sugimoto exhibit here. http://www.mori.art.museum/html/eng/

I've seen some of Sugimoto's stuff in NY but this is the first time there's been an exhibit of this scale. (It's on till Jan 9th in Tokyo and then it goes to the US. It's totally worth catching) His images play around with themes of perception of time and space - you might have seen large B&Ws of what looks like empty cinemas. But it's a movie theatre whose audience has come and gone because he's exposed the film for like...two hours. So much for photography capturing one point in time.

He also had images of sculptures that represent mathematical theories and equations. Really clean, sleek...you might have seen it in the NY Times mag a couple of months ago. I actually saw it on my usual train ride from Tarrytown to Grand Central.

Man do I miss that - the NY Times mag. Soch gave me her copy of the New Yorker last week to help me miss NY less. But, what I do miss is that Hudson line train ride with my Sunday NY Times and my iPod.

No comments: